- Cook Time : 30-60 minutes
- lean beef mince - 450g
- rashers smoked back bacon, all visible fat removed, chopped - 4
- garlic cloves, crushed - 2
- leek, finely chopped - 1
- red pepper, deseeded and chopped - 1
- carrots, peeled and chopped - 2
- dried oregano - 1 tsp
- A large handful of fresh basil, finely chopped
- chopped tomatoes - 400g can
- dried rigatoni pasta - 350g
- A watercress, rocket and spinach salad, to serve
Place a large, non-stick frying pan over a high heat.
Add the beef and bacon and cook for 4-5 minutes, until the beef is browned all over.
Add the garlic, leek, pepper and carrots and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Add the oregano, basil and chopped tomatoes.
Bring to a simmer and then cover and cook for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
Divide the pasta between four warmed bowls and spoon over the ragu.
Serve immediately with the salad.