Special Spanish cakes!
- Cook Time : 60 minutes
- Low calorie cooking spray
- eggs, separated - 4
- golden caster sugar - 50g
- sweetener - 5 tbsp
- finely grated orange zest and the juice of 2 oranges, plus orange segments to decorate - 2 tbsp
- self-raising flour - 150g
- baking powder - 1 level tsp
- For the Syrup
- Pared zest of 1 orange and 120ml of freshly squeezed orange juice
- arrowroot - 1 tbsp
- artificial sweetener - 1 tbsp
- caster sugar - 1 level tsp
Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4.
sandwich tin with non-stick baking parchment and spray with a little low calorie cooking spray.
Put the egg yolks, sugar, sweetener and grated orange zest and juice in a bowl and whisk until thick and pale.
Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until soft peaks form then
fold into the egg yolk mixture.
Sieve the flour and baking powder into
another bowl then tip into the eggs and stir in very gently.
Spoon this mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cake has risen and is firm to the touch. Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, put the syrup ingredients in a small saucepan over a high heat and bring to the boil, whisking constantly.
When it starts to thicken, remove from the heat and cool slightly.
Decorate the cake with orange segments, drizzle over the sauce and
cut into slices to serve.