- Prep Time : 2day 0 h 30 min
- Cook Time : 04h 40min
- dried salt cod, rinsed - 680g
- parsley sprigs - 10
- sprigs thyme - 2
- small bay leaf - 1
- small onion, halved - 1
- whole milk - 1L
- extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for shallow frying - 2 tbsp
- minced shallot - 80g
- large garlic cloves, minced - 2
- minced flat-leaf parsley - 15g
- minced tarragon - 5g
- double cream - 80ml
- fresh bread crumbs - 190g
- large egg, lightly beaten - 1
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- lemon, cut into 4 wedges - 1
- For the Tartar Sauce
- prepared mayonnaise - 235g
- finely chopped cornichons - 10g
- finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves - 5g
- Pinch finely chopped fresh tarragon
- chopped capers - 12g
- small spring onion, white and green, minced - 1
- Pinch finely grated lemon zest
- freshly squeezed lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
Soak the salt cod in enough cold water to cover, for 48 hrs in the refrigerator.
Change the water everyday.
Drain and cut into large pieces.
Tie the parsley, thyme, and bay together with kitchen string.
Put the bundle in a soup pot along with the onion and milk.
Bring to a slow simmer over medium heat; add the cod and poach for 15 mins or until the fish just flakes.
Drain and cool.
Discard the milk, herb bundle, and onion.
Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet, and saute the shallots over medium-low heat, until golden, about 10 mins.
Add the garlic and cook 1 min more.
Set aside to cool slightly.
Flake the cod into a medium bowl with your fingers, discarding any bones or skin.
Mix the fish with the shallot mixture, the chives, parsley, tarragon, cream, 75g of the breadcrumbs, egg and salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer the mixture to a food processor and pulse several times, until the mixture is combined but not pureed.
Form the mixture into 8 disks, and refrigerate for at least 4 hrs.
When ready to serve dredge the cakes in the remaining crumbs.
Heat a large skillet filled about a 0.5cm deep with oil medium heat.
Saute the cakes until golden for about 3 to 4 mins per side.
Serve with lemon wedges and tartar sauce.
For the tartar sauce: In a small mixing bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, cornichons, parsley, tarragon, capers, spring onion, lemon zest, juice, and the hot sauce, if using. Refrigerate for 30 mins for the flavours to come together.