Chicken chow mein
- Cook Time : 45 minutes
- light soy sauce - 4 tbsp
- hot chilli sauce - 1 level tbsp
- Chinese rice vinegar or white wine vinegar - 2 tsp
- garlic cloves, peeled and crushed - 4
- piece root ginger, peeled and finely grated - 2cm
- Chinese five-spice powder - 1 tsp
- large skinless chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced - 3
- dried medium or thin egg noodles - 200g
- Low calorie cooking spray
- mangetout, halved lengthways - 200g
- water chestnuts, drained - 225g can
- bamboo shoots, drained - 225g can
- red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced - 1
- spring onions, sliced diagonally - 8
- sweet chilli sauce - 1 level tbsp
- dark soy sauce - 4 tbsp
Place the light soy sauce in a large bowl and stir in the hot chilli sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger and five spice powder.
Add the chicken and stir to coat in the dressing. Leave to marinate for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to the packet instructions and drain well.
Spray a large wok or frying pan with low calorie cooking spray, add the chicken mixture and stir-fry over a high heat for 4-5 minutes until lightly browned.
Add all the vegetables and stir-fry for a further 4-5 minutes.
Add the noodles, sweet chilli sauce and dark soy sauce and cook for a further 4 minutes until piping hot.
Serve immediately with sliced red chillies on the side, if using.