This is no pie!
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 25 minutes
- extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan - 1 tbsp
- butter, cut into pieces - 30g
- starchy potatoes, skin left on and diced - 2
- medium onion, chopped - 1
- celery with leafy green tops, finely chopped - 2 ribs
- carrots, peeled and diced - 2
- bay leaf, fresh or dried - 1
- Salt and pepper
- poultry seasoning - 1 tsp
- plain flour - 3 tbsp
- dry white wine, eyeball it - 250ml
- chicken stock - 1.25L
- chicken tenders, chopped - 675g
- small bunch pencil asparagus, trimmed of woody ends and cut into 5cm pieces - 1
- frozen peas, a couple of handfuls - 150g
- fresh tarragon - 2-3 tbsp
- sprigs, chopped - 4-5
Heat a large, deep skillet or a medium soup pot over medium high heat.
Add extra-virgin olive oil and butter.
Melt butter into oil then add the potatoes, onions, celery and carrots, adding them to the pot as you chop them.
Add bay leaf and season veggies with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning, cook 5 to 6 minutes to soften them a bit.
Add flour and cook another minute then whisk in wine and cook off a minute more.
Add stock and put a lid on the pan or pot and raise heat to bring to a quick boil.
Slide in chicken and cook 5 minutes.
Stir in asparagus and cook 3 minutes more.
Turn off heat and add the peas and tarragon.
Stir to combine and adjust salt and pepper, to your taste.
Ladle into bowls and serve with crusty bread for mopping.