- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 45 minutes
- large onions, sliced - 2
- chicken stock - 600ml
- turmeric - 2 tsp
- cardamom pods - 3
- piece cinnamon stick - 1 x 2.5cm
- black peppercorns - 4
- cloves - 4
- ground coriander - 1 tsp
- peeled and grated root ginger - 1 tbsp
- ground cumin - 1 tsp
- mild chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- garlic cloves, crushed - 3
- skinless and boneless chicken breasts, sliced - 4
- fat free natural yogurt, bought to room temperature - 275ml
- chopped coriander leaves, to garnish - 2 tbsp
Put the onion and 425ml of the chicken stock in a large, heavy-based saucepan.
Cover the pan, bring to the boil and then boil for 10 minutes.
Reduce the heat, uncover the pan and cook gently for 20 minutes, until the onion is tender, golden and syrupy.
Add all the spices and garlic to the pan, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Then add the chicken and cook for a few minutes to coat in the spices, then stir in the remaining chicken stock.
Cover the pan and simmer very gently over a medium heat for 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
Transfer the curry to a large serving bowl. Add 4 tbsp of the cooking sauce to the yogurt and stir well.
Gradually add the yogurt into the curry, stirring continuously.
Season to taste with salt, and serve immediately with boiled rice, and garnish with the chopped coriander.