A Jamaican traditional recipe!
- Cook Time : 01h 50min
- Low calorie cooking spray
- stewing beef, all visible fat removed, cut into bite-size pieces - 400g
- red peppers, deseeded and cut into bite-sized pieces - 2
- small sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces - 1
- green beans, trimmed and halved - 200g
- garlic cloves, finely chopped - 2
- jerk seasoning - 2 tbsp
- red wine vinegar - 1 tbsp
- sweetener - 1/4 tsp
- passata with onions and garlic - 200g
- beef stock - 200ml
- Worcestershire sauce - 2 tbsp
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- dried long-grain rice - 200g
- A small handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped, to garnish
Preheat your oven to 160°C/140°C Fan/Gas 3.
Place a medium, flameproof casserole dish sprayed with low calorie cooking spray over a high heat.
Add the beef and fry for 4-5 minutes, or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Add the peppers, sweet potato, beans, garlic, jerk seasoning, wine vinegar, sweetener, passata, stock and Worcestershire sauce. Season and stir well.
Cover and cook for 1½ hours, or until the beef is meltingly tender.
Cook the rice accordingly to the packet instructions, then drain well.
Divide the stew and rice between 4 bowls, garnish with parsley and serve.