- Prep Time : 30 minutes
- Cook Time : 02h 00min
- lean stewing beef, all visible fat removed, cut into bite-sized pieces - 800g
- garlic cloves, peeled and crushed - 4
- large carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks - 4
- large leeks, thickly sliced - 3
- celery sticks, cut into large pieces - 4
- beef stock - 800ml
- red wine - 100ml
- chopped tomatoes with herbs - 400g can
- bay leaf - 1
- dried mixed herbs - 2 tsp
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 170°C/150°C Fan/Gas 3.
Place the beef in a heavy-based casserole dish with the garlic, carrots, leeks and celery.
Stir in the stock, wine and tomatoes and add the bay leaf and mixed herbs.
Season well and bring the mixture to the boil over a high heat.
Cover tightly and transfer the casserole to the oven and cook for 2 - 2½ hours or until the beef is meltingly tender.