Light and fluffy with a delicious cheese-filled center.
- Prep Time : 20 minutes
- Cook Time : 20 minutes
- Low calorie cooking spray
- lean bacon, all visible fat removed, cut into 1.5cm pieces - 100g
- red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped - 1
- spring onions, finely chopped - 8
- eggs, separated - 6
- finely chopped fresh chives and dill - 6 tbsp each
- Parmesan cheese, finely grated - 100g
- English mustard powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mixed salad leaves, to serve
Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas 4.
Prepare a bain-marie by placing a roasting pan one-third full of warm water into the oven.
Lightly spray the insides of six individual ramekins or one medium soufflé dish with low calorie cooking spray.
Spray a frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and stir-fry the bacon, red chilli and spring onions for 6-8 minutes, then drain thoroughly in a metal sieve to get rid of any excess moisture and pat dry with kitchen paper.
Meanwhile put the egg whites into a bowl and whisk until just stiff.
In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks and add the bacon and spring onion mixture, chopped herbs and three-quarters of the cheese.
Season with the mustard powder and some salt and pepper.
Using a metal spoon, fold the egg whites into the egg yolk and bacon mixture.
Spoon this into the ramekins, almost to the top, and sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
Place in the bain-marie and cook for around 20 minutes until risen and lightly set.
Serve with a few mixed salad leaves.